We have decided to discuss the things that we are so blessed to call our own here in Canada.
Ketchup Chips - unless you have tried these delectable little red chips please don't scoff at them
Dill Pickle Chips - food of the gods and goes freakishly well with Hawaiian pizza (which was created here in Canada by the way.... don't quite get that but... okay)
Nanaimo bars (we made 'em first)
Butter tarts- Date squares- Pablum- Crispy Crunch bars-smarties- McIntosh toffee bars- Red Rose tea (Only in Canada ....Pity) Is this all true? Can it be you don't have Smarties?? Gaspe! So, if I were to say "Do you eat the red ones last?" would you think I was making a cannabalistic reference to the Natives?
It is quite obvious that some people are having a tough time understanding Canadians, so the following will run through a very brief translation of the Canadian 'dialect' and hopefully help some of you out.
- EH = pronounced AY (similar, but not the same as huh)
- Eh is a useful word that is very important and is the basis of all Canadian communications.
- It is used in conjunction with other words, or simply by itself.
The tone or the slight differences in exclamation also changes the meaning:
- Eh? = what did you say?
- Eh? = what do you think?
- EH? = something to say just to end a sentence.
- Eh? want a doughnut or some Tim Bits?
- Eh! = sure!!
- Eh? = what you say when you realize you have no money to pay for it.
- Eh...uhuh = yes sure!
- Eh..wanna? eh? = lets fool around ...
- EHHHHHHH = sounds coming from the car.
- hey..um..er eh... = I'm pregnant!
- EH????????? = how did that happen?
- EHHehhEHHehhEHHH = sounds from the delivery room.
- EHHH-ehh, EHHH-ehh = baby's first cry.
Other interesting Canadian terms:
hoser = a good friend..
take off! (variation - take off, eh!) = you are kidding, no way, fly an airplane.
Two-Four = case of 24 bottles/cans of beer.
Over by = no one has deciphered that term yet.
Stays where ye're at and I'll come where yer to - Stay there, I'm coming.
Our "Civil war" was led by a drunken, and possibly insane William Lyon McKenzie.
Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little less than an hour.
The only person arrested and hanged after our civil war was an American mercenary who slept in and missed the whole fight, showing up just in time to get caught.
The Hudson Bay company once owned 1/11th of the Earth's surface.
The average dog sled team can kill and devour a grown human in less than three minutes.
We don't have much of a taste for powdered bear testicles, but we know who does, and we're willing to sell them.
We wear socks (black ones, if possible) with our sandals.
We knew plaid flannel was cool way before Seattle did.
We can out-drink most Americans.