Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Caesar - Part II

Being the responsible blogger that I am - with none but journalistic intentions - I met up with Jennifer and set about finding for you the perfect Caesar...

It started at a pub called Slainte (sp?) whereupon I ordered and received a glorious concoction and - evidently they were fresh out of celery so it was garnished with a lovely cucumber. It was tasty and spicy but I fear that due to the garnish - something wasn't quite right. Being the loyal blogger I quickly moved on...

Arrived at the second establishment (The Brassy) with great hopes... and as the Caesar landed in front of me - my eyes grew large and some may have noted a wee tear slipping from the corner of my peeper - when I did see something rather horrific afloat in my lovely cocktail. It was....hold on to your seats.... A GREEN BEAN. Why? This was not very nice to do to me. I've never done anything to these people. Almost so offended I did not drink my poor Caesar - but being dedicated to the cause - I forced down every drop (after I flung the bean far from my person). Immediately left with high hopes that the next place would stop this nightmare...

The Coach and Lantern (yeah, I know - but that idiot doesn't own it anymore, a new idiot does). The old stomping grounds haven't changed much - same decorations, same chairs, same pretend ghost. But instead of sports teams imbibing in the weekend past time of beer consumption - the pub was littered with baby boomers snapping their fingers to the bands rendition of Brown Eyed Girl. (Worth mentioning - there was a man at the bar who I think may have been there in the same spot he was 10 years ago when I worked there drinking out of - quite possibly the same glass). I order and am presented with the most hideous thing I've ever seen. The stuff that nightmares are made of. There was - a stick of pickled asparagus in my glass. At this point I am looking around in earnest for the candid camera crew. Surely someone is making a mocktail of my cocktail? The laughter bubbles up and hysteria takes over. I have given up. I am now convinced that somehow - the Caesar I had come to love has been forever changed. Never again will I taste the crunchy celery stalk between sips and revel at its crispy deliciousness. I resigned myself to go with the joke and enjoy the ride. I removed the offensive vegetable from my drink and drained its contents swiftly. Then my friend and I escaped before we found ourselves clapping offbeat and bopping about in our bar chairs.

Our final destination was chosen with the Caesar in mind. A new - and rather posh establishment called Faloney's was next on our list. Here, I fully expected to order my drink and be blown completely out of the water with what was garnishing my drink. A chicken wing, perhaps? A shish kabob complete with a wee sausage? A toy poodle? I order my drink and wait with bated breath. In slow motion the drink lands in front of me. I stare. My eyes widen almost to the point of bursting and grow moist. I throw my arms up in the air and begin to cheer, jumping up and down. There in front of me - a glorious thing to behold - a mighty Caesar complete with a stick of celery. I revelled in this wondrous drink savouring each spicy drop. Mission complete - time to go home. Besides finding a perfect drink - we managed to convince the bartender that we were not entirely normal. I don't think he's ever had this reaction to his bar-tending skills. He looked sort of pleased and wary all at the same time.

From now on - I think I shall take it upon myself to make my own Caesar. It's just safer that way - and a good way to stay out of the crazy house.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate wanting to have your favorite cocktail prepared in exactly the way that you like it, but sometimes variety is the spice of life, dahlink!

At The Green Parrot Bar in Key West, they sometimes make their Bloody Marias with a spicy pickled green bean that is to die for. 2 DIE 4! They will also throw in a nice celery stalk, but the bean makes it special.

Another place that I went to adorned their bloody concoctions with small, spiced green tomatoes that made me run back for more.

Actually, the pickled asparagus stalk sounded interesting. just about anything pickled is appreciated while I am on my own way to becoming pickled.

But to each his/her own! Glad you found one that you liked!

PS - Have you seen Slyde's stuff on youtube.com yet?

elizabeth said...

This was a spicy pickled green bean. And it offended my sensitive nature. I do not like green beans - yetch. Maybe fresh out of the garden - but it doesn't belong in my drink.
Variety works with some things - but not - NOT the caesar. Some things are better left unchanged. Don't mess with something that isn't broken and all that.

wv: urmte (and I took that to imply that I am mighty. I like that)

Kat said...

she forgot to mention that she went to the Keg to look for me...eventhough I wasn't there, they should have stayed because there she would have found the perfect, 'stalked' Keg sized Caesar.
Your mouth is watering isn't it Liz.
And I agree with you about the beans. Yuck. Maybe they taste alright but it looks pretty nasty...all brown and wilty like, hanging off the side of the glass.

elizabeth said...

Did look a tad ridiculous didn't it?

Tobiwan said...

This post reminds me of Bloody Mary Night only I did that one solo. Easier to do when you live downtown and there's at least 8 different bars within staggering distance.

Sadly enough, out of the 6 different establishments I went to, the seediest pub of them all won the 'Best Bloody Mary' of the evening.

All I won was a hangover and an empty wallet...no t-shirt to speak of.

elizabeth said...

Holy archive girl! How you doing?