Monday, September 11, 2006

I went grocery shopping with my Mom and my daughter the other day. When we left the store, a wasp started attacking my daughter. So I started pushing her really fast (in a shopping cart) to escape. It would be seemingly gone only to reappear again shortly after. I am deathly afraid of them so this entire experience was a little upsetting. It went on for quite a while (about 4 turns around the parking lot) before I seemed to be rid of it and could unbuckle my daughter and get her into the car. The drive home was uneventful and nothing was said.

Then, today I was talking to my Mom and brought up the wasp incident at the grocery store. She didn't know what I was talking about.
I said "You know, last week at Costco with the baby---- remember?---- and I went running around the parking lot like a lunatic?"
Then recognition washes over my Mother's face followed by laughter - hysterical laughter. She apparently didn't know there was a wasp. Her eyesight is awful anyways and a wasp is pretty small. She just remembered thinking to herself, "Boy she's acting peculiar today.".

Then it occurred to me that there were probably 400 people in that parking lot - none of them close enough to see the wasp. I must have looked like a lunatic to everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, thanks to you, the next lunatic I see gets the benefit of the doubt.

elizabeth said...

See - that makes it worth it. Sort of...