Monday, April 10, 2006

Did I Ever Tell You About the Moldy Popcorn?

On two separate occasions I have tasted mold on popcorn. Once was Orville Microwave popcorn and once was at Famous Players. In fairness to them - I never sent the nasty gram to Orville Redenbacher to they didn't have a chance to apologize and at the theatre they refunded my money - while they stared at me like I was crazy. Now understand - I am not the type to have butter or flavoring on my popcorn. Just plain old popcorn for me. I think that is part of the reason I have tasted this unmistakable resemblance to mold. Unmistakable because that is what it is.

I have attempted to research the process of drying kernels but found very little to go on. Logic dictates that the kernels are separated from the cob, dried, packaged, popped and eaten. Knowing enough about the properties of mold (requires organic matter and some moisture to grow) it seems reasonable to assume that this molding of my popcorn could very easily occur if the kernels are not dried enough or a few are overlooked.

Now I know this sounds like I have lost touch with reality. Moldy popcorn you say? Just keep in mind that on occasion whilst eating your popcorn - you will taste something vaguely familiar (in my case once it was mild and once it was so overpowering that I almost threw up - so there are varying levels) that just stays on your tongue and reminds you of the time you opened - and for some reason smelled the inside of a bag of moldy hot dog buns. Do not question your sanity - though many of those who consume popcorn floating in MSG, butter, caramel, ketchup and/or salt and vinegar flavoring may have a difficult time accepting the truth of this. They have been fooled...

Now I have an aversion to salad (unless I can wash it myself- but they look at me funny when I ask to do that at a restaurant) and popcorn. I also have one to broccoli but not because something happened to me. It's that old wives tale about the little green worms in it - that and the fact that I find the flavour repulsive. So all in all - my viable food group is diminishing.

Sorry if I have ruined your snacking ability. Please feel free to add to my aversions.

;-D

14 comments:

Posybunny said...

Just ate moldy popcorn...googled it because I thought I was crazy. Thanks for the confirmation! I knew it was mold. Eewww...

Anonymous said...

My palate does not lie. I knew I was not crazy (at least not on this), but had to find some info on timeframe, etc. It does stay on the tongue. Even after I brushed. Ugh!

walking_man from BigChurch

P.S. Love the pic of Guevera's Revolutionary lipbalm.

elizabeth said...

AHA!! Another victim of the popcorn mold. Another confirmation that I have not completely gone off the deep end ;-)

oren said...

Yes I ate the moldy popcorn too!! Yuk!! Terrible thing it was..

Dana said...

I Googled "moldy popcorn" because I was sure I just ate some. Disgusting! Glad to know I'm not crazy. :)

Tayler Bonn said...

I am also one who googled whether popcorn can grow mold after eating some. Had just popped a bag of Orville Redenbacher fat free popcorn, put some powdered butter in the bag (which is definitely not moldy), and reached in... A few pieces in, I tasted mold. Of course, I tried to convince myself that it's dehydrated and thus could not grow mold. Ate another handful, and got another mold-flavored kernel.
I'm someone who, for whatever reason, is more sensitive to the smell and taste of mold. If the garbage disposal hasn't been run in a few days and I walk within 15 feet of it, I start gagging while no one else seems to notice it.
So maybe I just found the off bag with some mold... Or maybe more bags have a light moldy flavor that no one else in the house has noticed D:

Unknown said...

Legit ate a whole bag before realizing. Blah! The last few were moldy... my stomach is turning

Unknown said...

Legit ate a whole bag before realizing. Blah! The last few were moldy... my stomach is turning

Kestutis said...

after tasting mold in my pocporn, i coulnt believe it. Gave it to my wife , and she confirmed the same. After that -Google and you guys. Thanks
Now my question would be did popcorn went bad in my cupboard, or its the way it came from manufacturer.
Anyways, while googling came across King Corn movie, thats my saturday's movie for tonight anyways.

Stacy said...

Had to google this because it happened to me multiple times. I thought the popcorn bowl went funky from being put away right out of the dishwasher. In my case it was gourmet Amish popcorn and I had several bags of it go bad.

Unknown said...

Me too. Darn they are right about the taste not going away. Ugh. It won't make me sick will it?

Lisa White said...

I just ate some moldy Gourmet Amish Popcorn! I hope I don't get sick!

TeaMouse said...

Literally just happened to me, at my work we have Popcorn Fridays and I popped perfectly good, non expired Act II popcorn and ate a handful and in the next little bit I took boom - mold taste! I thought the stuff was bad so I grabbed the box, no it expired in 2018! This is literally my first time and if there is mold in something I will taste it. Everyone thought I was nuts and they kept eating their popcorn, I came right back to my desk to google this because I wanted confirmation that I'm not losing my mind lol! Now to find something to get rid of that mold taste!

Conky said...

I have had this happen to me on occasion and it makes me mental b/c it requires massive determination to keep eating it after that one mouldy POS kernel... #FTW #IGETYOU