Monday, June 26, 2006

little fly

I was sitting outside on the patio drinking my coffee this morning and a little fly decided to pester me. It made me think about how annoying bugs are in general - especially when they get into the house.... and that made me think about when I was a kid what my brother used to do when they did get into the house...

My brother used to paint airplane models when he was a little kid - you know those fighter planes and stuff? Well one day whilst he was painting a camouflage pattern on some plane or another - a little fly came to visit him. It was a stalker fly - that just zip saround you and bang into and won't go away. So - he reached up in Mr. Miyagi style and caught the little bugger. Then he held onto his little legs and painted a camouflage pattern onto his little wings. A tiny little army of his own had begun. Soon - walking all around our house were tiny little flies whose wings were adorned with various things - little Japanese fighter planes, little Nazi's - you name it - we had it. It was kind of hard to explain to people who didn't know us (well - or even those who did) why these little guys were painted - so we just acted like we couldn't see them. (Gross hey?) They could no longer fly - since the paint was too heavy - so the cat usually caught and ate them... but every so often I swear to god I see a little fly with painted wings walking around out there. There was also a toad in my grandmother's garden who seemed to be wearing something that resembled a diaper (?) the other day...

6 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

These stories are not making me feel safe about visiting your family reunion. But I suppose the fact that your brother didn't paint them....then eat them is a good sign?

elizabeth said...

Well then again - I never told you about the ants...

The Watcher said...

What about th'toad wearin' th'diaper? Maybe your brother got turned into a toad by th'(wait for it, wait for it) Lord o' th'Flies.

elizabeth said...

*groan*

Carrie said...

Liz, you didn't find what your brother did disturbing did you?
'Cause that totally sounds like something you would do.
Or... you did do it and you're blaming your brother just to see what the reaction is first!!
It's the, I have this "friend"... thing. Wink! wink!

elizabeth said...

Wink wink wink