Friday, June 23, 2006

More fun facts -

Bulls are color blind.
Mosquitoes have 47 teeth. (OH MY GOD!)
The Poison Arrow frog has enough poison to kill 2,200 people.
Emus can't walk backwards.
A group of unicorns is called a blessing.
A group of kangaroos is called a mob.
A group of owls is called a parliament. (sounds very distiguished)
A group of ravens is called a murder. (creepy)
A group of bears is called a sleuth.
A baby oyster is called a spat. (Why?)
Some fleas have split penises like a Y shape
An elephant can be pregnant for up to 2 years (that just makes me want to cry)
Chickens can't swallow while they are upside down. (another one of those - why do we know this - type of questions)
The average garden-variety caterpillar has 248 muscles in its head. (who counted? No seriously, who? I want them to come over for dinner tonight)
More people are killed annually by donkeys than in airplane crashes. (there ya go - remember this for the next time someone spazzes out in mid air... I'm sure they will really appreciate this factoid)
By some unknown means, an iguana can end its own life.
Americans spend around $3 billion for cat and dog food a year. (yet people are starving - go figure)
Pigs can cover a mile in 7.5 minutes when running at top speed.
A squid has 10 tentacles.
A snail's reproductive organs are in its head. (do I even need to comment here)
When a horned toad is angry, it squirts blood from its eyes. (I am screaming right now. I am.)
The typical hen lays 19 dozen eggs a year.
The ostrich has a 46-foot long small intestine.
A scallop has 35 blue eyes.
A swan is the only bird with a penis (okay - so you know I am going to search for a picture for you all now - right?)
The left leg of a chicken in more tender than the right one. (I had no idea whatsoever - you?)
The only dog that doesn't have a pink tongue is the chow.
Dogs and humans are the only animals with prostates.
The giraffe has the highest blood pressure of any animal. (there's logic in that)
Zebras can't see the color orange. (again -why do we know this?)
The smartest dogs are the Jack Russell Terrier and Scottish Border collie. Dumbest: Afgan hound.
A rat can go without water longer than a camel can.
The fat molecules in goat milk are 5 times smaller than those found in cow milk. It takes 20 minutes for the stomach to breakdown as opposed to the hour that it takes to break down cow milk. (the reason why we should actually be giving our kids goat milk - but it's so damned costly. Actually they say the smaller the mammel... here kitty kitty kitty...)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the whole "what do you call a group of [insert animal here]" stuff.

Besides ravens, a group of crows is also called a murder. My favorite.

Also, besides owls, I once read a story where a group of rooks is called a parliament. In the story (maybe a Sandman comic by Neil Gaiman...I forget), they are called that because sometimes when they gather in flocks they surround one bird. That bird then proceeds to sqwauk out a story or a joke and if the rest of the rooks like it, they all all sqwauk in praise and fly away. If they don't like it, the rest of the flock descends on the lone bird and tears it to shreds.

Crazy story.

Anonymous said...

A swan is the only bird with a penis.

Really? I must know absolutely nothing about avian biology. How do the rest of them birdies get it on? Do you mean to tell me a rooster doesn't have a cock?

This boggles my mind.

Kat said...

I found a picture of a scallop. I had no idea the were so scary???!!! I posted it with a few other creepy deep sea pics.
I'm feeling a little ill now
I have to go.

elizabeth said...

Earl - go here....

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060606224055AAgIhYP

Better than anything I could come up with, lol.

badgerdaddy said...

Where do you find this shit????? Incredible.

And is it my imagination or does the fat kid look uncannily like a Cabbage Patch Doll?

Love to see what his folks look like...

elizabeth said...

Yeah - I think he looks like a cabbage patch because all of his features are crammed into the very middle of that great fat head.

Anonymous said...

wow! this is so damn cool! some of these give me the shivers *35 eyes? *swan penis *tender left chicken leg?

Elizabeth McClung said...

Horned toads have Eye Stigmatas? Has the church checked this out?

elizabeth said...

I know - the chicken leg really had me baffled...

Hey Beth, roflmao.

Anonymous said...

Ah...the cloacal kiss. That explains it. Thanks!

elizabeth said...

Is it just me? I must be slowish today... please explain.

Anonymous said...

The website you supplied me with regarding birds and reproduction. The technique is called the "cloacal kiss".

Has to do with the male bird rubbing its genitals against the female's genitals.

That's what I was talking about. Sorry!

wv: essheut (this is definitely a Spelling Bee word...or a hillbilly cursing)